Goals for a Sinner by Lynn Shurr

Story: 6
Presentation: 8
Total: 14
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
Contemporary Romance

Blurb: Unlucky in love, sports photographer Stevie Dowd has given up on men on order to concentrate on her goal of getting a cover shot for a prestigious sports magazine. Connor Riley, wide receiver for the New Orleans Sinners, has remained celibate all season to strengthen his game for a Super Bowl victory. Their goals collide, literally, when Connor bowls over Stevie on the sidelines as she attempts to get her perfect picture. Realizing Stevie is the woman he had a crush on in high school, Connor feels his vow is about to be broken. Can he win both the Super Bowl and Stevie Dowd?

Review: I LOVE sports. I enjoy reading books with main characters who are involved in sports. However, if you are not a HUGE football fan, devoted to the game and ravenous about every aspect of the sport then this one might not be for you.
I felt overwhelmed by football. The sport was not sprinkled in to add to the feel of the story, it seemed to be in the forefront and sometimes seemed to overshadow the romance. There were parts of the tale that were wonderful, emotion filled and pulled me in. Then I hit a wall.
Spanning a timeline that appears to run about 2 years (at least 2 seasons and 2 Super Bowls) we travel along on the ups and downs of injuries, budding emotions and many secondary characters...one of which I liked then hated then liked then hated.
Football aside I still hit two spots in the story. 1)When a single word, which most find a VERY derogitory term, even though it was used in a teasing manner between two secondary characters, I found the word in poor taste. 2) The description of a terminal child and his likeness to a refugee from Africa, while the decription did give me a visual I wish the author had found a different way to phrase it.
None of this detracts from the authors ability to create a story filled with details and emotion. This is an author that I would like to read more from before putting her on my must buy list.

2 comments:

Fran Lee said...

Hmmm...guess I'll have to read this one to see if it irritates me.

KyAnn said...

I do love football. and Damn that hottie on the cover is a good reason to watch. sheesh. Touch or tackle football anyone? yum

Post a Comment

For More Information contact romancereader@ymail.com